Monday, February 08, 2010

Return to yesteryears: Batu Gajah

I return to the place where as a child, I would spend most of my evenings there with my two elder brothers and a bunch of friends from the same neighborhood.

Locally known as Batu Gajah, our so-called playground is within the jungle forest of Tanjung Bunga. A 10-minutes walk from our home would lead us to a very shady area by the hilly rocks and a chilly stream at almost 6-ft deep. Of course, there was a shallow area for a young child like me (then) to play around too *grin*

Looking back, I could not recall how we ever plan of the meet up time, but somehow or rather we would end up in a large group leading to the same direction. Perhaps I was too young to remember all that. But I certainly recall clearly that almost every evening with the sun still shining on us, we would plunge into the chilly stream to cool down. The place is secluded with no one else is there to bug us (except of mosquitoes!).

When I went back to the same place after around 15 years later, the place has changed tremendously lot. The stream is no longer 6-ft deep and not as shady as before but I all can say is that this place is still a serene place to just unwind and cool down. The hilly rocks still remains the same just the stream is now merely 3-ft deep.

Standing there brings me back to my childhood times when there were no worries and all we do is just have fun and play all night long! We owned no computers, hand phones or any high-tech gadgets, but we had lots of fun times exploring the nature!

Some of the pictures taken from my recent visit...

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails